Preparation time-40 minutes
- Toor dal (spilt pigeon peas )-200 gm
- Chopped onion-1 (large)
- Chopped tomato-1 (large)
- Green chilli-2 (slit)
- Garlic clove (peeled)-8 to 10
- Finely chopped ginger-2 inch
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder-1/3 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Cooking oil-2 tbsp
- Chopped coriander leaves
- Charcoal-1 (for smoky flavour)
- Asafoetida (hing)-1/4 tsp
- Dry red chilli (tadka chilli)-2
- Finely chopped garlic- 5 to 6
- Cumin seeds- 2 tsp
- Kasuri methi (fenugreek leaves)-1 tsp
- Ghee-2 tsp
- Turn on the flame and heat a pressure cooker without lid.
- Add cooking oil and let it heat, add green chilli, garlic cloves and chopped ginger, fry it for few seconds.
- Add chopped onions, fry it for 2-3 minutes on medium flame.
- Add chopped tomato, fry it till it turns soft (keep stirring ).
- Add washed toor dal and fry it for 1-2 minutes on medium flame.
- Add 2.5 glass of water, turmeric powder and salt, stir it.
- Close the lid, boil it for 3 whistle on medium flame.
- Turn off the flame and let the pressure cooker cool down, open it and stir.
- Heat a tadka pan, add ghee and let it heat.
- Add hing, cumin seeds, chopped garlic, dry red chilli, kasuri methi and little red chilli powder.
- Fry it for 1/2 minute on medium flame, turn off the flame.
- Put the tadka into the cooked dal carefully, close the lid of the cooker for 5 minutes.
- Open the pressure cooker, add chopped coriander leaves , stir it.
For Smoky Flavour:
- Heat a charcoal on stove, heat it till it turns red.
- Put the burnt charcoal in a bowl carefully, pour 1 tsp ghee on it.
- Immediately, put the bowl inside the cooker and close the lid for 15 minutes.
- Open the pressure cooker and take out the charcoal bowl carefully from it.
- Ready to serve with plain rice or jeera rice.